Radovan Kraguly was born in 1936 and brought up on a small farm near Prijedor in the former Yugoslavia, now Bosnia–Herzegovina. Kraguly studied at the Academy of Fine Art in Belgrade 1953-60 and received a grant from the British Council to attend the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London 1962-63 before going on to lecture at art schools in England, Belgium and France. In the early 1970s he first visited Wales and soon after bought a farmhouse deep in the countryside near Builth Wells. Since then, his life and work have alternated between mid-Wales and Paris. First solo exhibitions in London were held at the Institute of Contemporary Arts 1965 and Angela Flowers Gallery 1977. Amongst later solo exhibitions were those at the Bemis Center of Contemporary Art in Omaha 1988, Musèe d’Art Moderne (MAM) in Paris 1989, Umjetnicka galerija (UGBH) in Sarajevo 1990, Museum of Modern Art (PMMK) in Ostende 1991, Chapter Art Centre in Cardiff 1995 and Museum of Contemporary Art (MSU) in Belgrade 1998. Over the years, he has taken part in more than 200 group exhibitions, and in biennials in sixteen countries. Major collections in which his work is represented include the British Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum in London, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Manchester City Art Gallery, National Museum and Art Gallery, Cardiff, Bibliothéque Nationale, Paris and Library of Congress, Washington.